Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Week 1: The Promised Land

...
Last Friday I began a new period of life: working outside our home, 4 days on, 2 days off, 6 am to 2 pm. Our baby is 2 years old now, and God has presented me with this opportunity to grow and serve in a new way. My husband also began a new period of his life: working from home and taking care of our little one. It occured to me that we are not merely 'switching roles', but God is giving us both 'more'. Apparently, we have been faithful with what He has given us thus far. (Matthew 25:13-30; Luke 19:11-27). What a relief to hear "Well done. Here is your next project." And yet, it is not a removal of previously given tasks, but instead it is the addition of another.

The Lord has prepared this postion, this territory, for me and I am thankful. I see it in all the ways that it suits me: the time I prefer, the hours I need financially, the staff I get along with, and the residents I work best with. He goes before me and with me. I will have to fight for it and claim it, and that involves a lot of work. It also involves endurance and perserverance, which I feel is very lacking in me. That is the main challenge and lesson for me. I have never worked this many hours with no end in sight; any other full time position was always temporary and I always knew the end. This one is permanent and indefinite. I know God - Jesus - will help me and be with me, but I don't know what that means in a day by day, perhaps year by year basis.

I recieved an insight this week though. Days 1, 2, and 3 I set aside time in the morning while I ate breakfast to read, pray, and write. I spoke in my thoughts to my friend Jesus, and on my day 1 I felt like He was sitting in the bathroom keeping me company while I got ready. I said aloud the armour of God and 'put it on' as I got dressed. I stated my desire to serve, and to walk with Him that day. I asked for help and for God to fill me, because I not only knew I couldn't do it myself, but I felt completely empty. I considered each day to be a task that Jesus and I were completing together. The days were very busy and not everything went exactly 'perfect'. However, there was wonderful timing and I was happy. I don't think I have ever enjoyed my shifts as much as I did those three days. I felt like I carried and managed the work wonderfully, and honestly cared and served the residents as well.

Day 4 was different because I was so tired, and I did not really pray; just prayers tossed like confetti. The shift itself was fine; not perfect, but not difficult. The main difference was that I didn't enjoy it. I felt anxious, flustered, and behind. I don't know where the time went, but it seemed to take me forever to get my work done. I did fine, and I did serve, but it was nothing like the abundancy of the first three days.
...
...
God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able...
~~ 1st Corinthians 10:13
...
I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly...
~~ John 10:10
...
My sheep hear My voice and I know them, and they follow Me.
~~ John 10:27
...
This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.
~~ Joshua 1:8-9
...
...

No comments:

Post a Comment